Urban Exploration - North East
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Urban Exploration - North East

This is a forum for Urban Explorers in the North East of England.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

another section

Go down 
+2
Urban Angel
MrDystopia
6 posters
AuthorMessage

another section Empty
PostSubject: another section   another section EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 2:20 am

We need another section......a PIT!!!
Back to top Go down
MrDystopia
MrDystopia

another section Empty
PostSubject: Re: another section   another section EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:49 pm

magpie wrote:
We need another section......a PIT!!!

Will run it by the others and see what they think.
Back to top Go down
http://dystopiaphotography.com
Urban Angel

another section Empty
PostSubject: Re: another section   another section EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 12:05 am

I think it's too negative. If people do shit reports they're guna get told they're shit anyway, there doesn't have to be a sub forum for them just to rub salt in the wound. It's harsh enough people getting told their reports are crap. Maybe I'm just too much of a hippy!
Back to top Go down
Ezykiel
Ezykiel

another section Empty
PostSubject: Re: another section   another section EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 12:12 am

A pit sounds good, rather than flat-out deleting insufficient reports, move them to the bin and give the poster reasons why their report was moved to the bin, and encourage them to try again.

Z

Last edited by Ezykiel on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezykiel.web44.net
Ezykiel
Ezykiel

another section Empty
PostSubject: Re: another section   another section EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 12:13 am

Urban Angel wrote:
I think it's too negative. If people do shit reports they're guna get told they're shit anyway, there doesn't have to be a sub forum for them just to rub salt in the wound. It's harsh enough people getting told their reports are crap. Maybe I'm just too much of a hippy!

In an ideal world this wouldn't be the point of the ol' pit Razz

Z
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezykiel.web44.net
Urban Angel

another section Empty
PostSubject: Re: another section   another section EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 12:26 am

Ezykiel wrote:
A pit sounds good, rather than flat-out deleting insufficient reports, move them to the bin and give the poster reasons why their report was moved to the bin, and encourage them to try again.

Z

Ah that makes it sound nicer! Kind of like a 'nice try but try again' pit?!?
Back to top Go down
MrDystopia
MrDystopia

another section Empty
PostSubject: Re: another section   another section EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 12:36 am

How about thinking of another name other than 'Pit'? Something like 'Nice Try But...' or something like that? I agree that we should not be making people feel punished for having a go but not quite meeting expectations. We want to encourage, not discourage. At the same time, too many sub-par posts can really mar the overall experience of browsing the report forums. Can we think of something better to call it?

MrD
Back to top Go down
Urban Angel

another section Empty
PostSubject: Re: another section   another section EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 12:59 am

MrDistopia wrote:
How about thinking of another name other than 'Pit'? Something like 'Nice Try But...' or something like that? I agree that we should not be making people feel punished for having a go but not quite meeting expectations. We want to encourage, not discourage. At the same time, too many sub-par posts can really mar the overall experience of browsing the report forums. Can we think of something better to call it?

MrD

That's totally my point! It just needs a more gentle name Smile
Back to top Go down
thestig
thestig

another section Empty
PostSubject: Re: another section   another section EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 3:00 am

All in favour of the pit, or "nice try but" as long as who ever reports go in dont start kicking off and throwing the teddy out of the pram and all that, take it on the chin and be all grown up about it rabbit

Last edited by thestig on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MrDystopia
MrDystopia

another section Empty
PostSubject: Re: another section   another section EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 12:26 pm

thestig wrote:
All in favour of the pit, or "nice try but" as long as who ever reports go in dont start kicking off and trowing the teddy out of the pram and all that, take it on the chin and be all grown up about it rabbit

...You're just tempting me to put one of yours in there now Razz LOL
Back to top Go down
thestig
thestig

another section Empty
PostSubject: Re: another section   another section EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 5:06 pm

but the question is, do any of my reports warrent the trip to the recycle bin? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Pretty Vacant
Pretty Vacant

another section Empty
PostSubject: Re: another section   another section EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 8:04 pm

So... put the 'under-par' report into this new section, tell the poster to improve upon it and then it will be brought back into the section it was originally intended for if it passes inspection. Sounds good. I think its good that the forums maintain a certain standard of professionalism whilst not being too harsh.
Back to top Go down
Krypton

another section Empty
PostSubject: Re: another section   another section EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 3:32 am

I've never actually been a great fan of the pit or the epic fail bin. Forum user's don't need to be humiliated when trying to post a first thread. Chances are if their report goes in the bin they wont come back.

Only place it is useful is on big forums where you get tons of threads of people asking stupid things or posting pictures of petrol pumps.
Back to top Go down
MrDystopia
MrDystopia

another section Empty
PostSubject: Re: another section   another section EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 4:12 am

Krypton wrote:
I've never actually been a great fan of the pit or the epic fail bin. Forum user's don't need to be humiliated when trying to post a first thread. Chances are if their report goes in the bin they wont come back.

Only place it is useful is on big forums where you get tons of threads of people asking stupid things or posting pictures of petrol pumps.

Totally agree. I am not convinced we really need one at all at this early stage.

PS.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Razz

MrD
Back to top Go down
Urban Angel

another section Empty
PostSubject: Re: another section   another section EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 6:10 am

Krypton wrote:

This is the way I was thinking. Personally as someone new to UE, having a pit would put me off posting reports. I'm already guna get people telling me my photos are crap, but I think everyone's efforts should be appreciated, even if they are slightly crapper that others efforts. Just tell people what they need to do to be better rather than humiliating them.
Back to top Go down
Krypton

another section Empty
PostSubject: Re: another section   another section EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 7:21 pm

where has Magpie gone?
Back to top Go down
MrDystopia
MrDystopia

another section Empty
PostSubject: Re: another section   another section EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 4:48 am

Krypton wrote:
where has Magpie gone?

He is no longer a member on this forum.

MrD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

another section Empty
PostSubject: Re: another section   another section Empty

Back to top Go down

another section
Page 1 of 1